Re: Copyright verification service

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Copyright verification service
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 11:21:38 +1000

On Wed, 27 May 2020 at 00:37, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Tim Cross <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 10:02:26 +1000
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> My idea is that the list does stay private. You cannot see/retrieve the list. All you can do is submit an email
> address and it will come back with either yes or no (ture/false etc).. You wold need to know the email
> address before you can check copyright status.

Richard is working with the FSF stuff on this, but AFAIU the response
cannot be a binary YES/NO result, it must be able to return a 3rd
value, meaning "human investigation is required".  I don't know if you
ever saw the copyright list, but some entries there are not very
trivial for a program to process, since they include various
conditions that are written in free-text format which would not be
simple for a program to parse and apply.

That wouldn't be an issue - you can easily define the semantics to whatever is needed. It may also be necessary to transform/normalize the source data and you could even set things up so that if a manual check needs to be made for a particular email address, once that check has been performed, add that email address with the appropriate value so that it doesn't need to be done again. The first object here is to make the processes easier and a good example of the 80/20 rule.
--
regards,

Tim

--