Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 00:14:52 -0400

  > I wonder if there's a way we could make package-archives customization
  > more discoverable from the list-packages screen.

There are very few package archives that meet our moral criteria
for suggesting their use.  In fact, currently only one: GNU ELPA.

We are thinking of making another, which we can informally call NonGNU
ELPA.  Some of the packages now in other archives could be included
there.  The details remain to be worked out.

For moral reasons, we will not suggest an archive that contains
packages that steer or lead users towards installing or running
nonfree software.  That is a brief summary of the rule in node
References in https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/.

--
Dr Richard Stallman