Re: Copyright verification service

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Copyright verification service
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 10:47:29 +1000

On Tue, 26 May 2020 at 10:30, Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> wrote:
On 25/05/2020 03.58, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> I've toyed with this idea myself for a while.
>
> I don't know if it is a good idea for the GNU project in general, but
> as someone who sometimes need to check the copyright status of some
> contributors for Org/Emacs, the current setup is fine for me.
>
> Although, I don't think authentication would be optional as we should
> by default assume that the list of signed contributors should be kept
> private, shouldn't we?

The API idea was discussed in depth two weeks ago, as part of the very long thread on packages not getting included in ELPA; see https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-05/msg01909.html.  The conclusion was that email addresses are not private, since they appear in commits anyway.   rms said he would talk to the FSF sysadmins to see if something was feasible.

OK, thanks for the info. It i hard to keep on top of all the threads about ELPA at the moment.

--
regards,

Tim

--