Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 08:04:28 +0200

Hi Stefan,

thanks for the suggestion and sorry for being late to the party.

Here is my simple take on this:

- The current way etc/TODO and friends are written is flawed,
  independantly of what mode you use to navigate it. E.g.:

    ** Improve the byte-compiler to recognize immutable (lexical)
    bindings and get rid of them if they're used only once and/or
    they're bound to a constant expression.

  Is it a paragraph?  Is it a heading?  Is it a whole section?  I
  cannot decide.  It is just some text.  Outline fontifies the first
  line of such text but this can hardly be considered as syntactic
  fontification, since the first fontified line is sometimes a whole
  sentence, sometimes just the start of a paragraph.

- We shall discuss plain text formatting enhancements instead of
  discussing outline vs org.  I am in favor of rewriting "paragraphs"
  in these files as proper heading + contents -- e.g.:

    ** Improve the byte-compiler to recognize immutable (lexical) bindings

    Also get rid of them if they're used only once and/or they're
    bound to a constant expression.

And this is it.  This would a welcome enhancement over the current
situation and we would not really need to have the outline vs org
discussion.

If nobody is against this enhancement, I am willing to start working
on these files and send a patch.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien