Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face

From: stardiviner
Subject: Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 08:56:50 +0800

Yes, I'm think this is a great feature for Emacs. It will make Emacs looks
awesome in some places.

Dimitry, I also found your first replied VS Code's theme screenshot. It looks
great! right.

That's why I hope Emacs can have this too.

I don't know C/C++ programming, but I checked my posted patch's source code,
it's not long. I think it might nor hard to implement in Emacs on Linux. Maybe
other operating system platforms.

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 22.05.2020 16:19, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>>> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
>>> Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 16:06:26 +0300

>>> You mean the implementation section? Indeed. The original message in
>>> this thread said as much.
>> But the text there says there should be changes in xfaces.c etc.  I
>> wonder how can I see those changes.
>
> They're inside the PR, already linked to in the original message.
>
> Here, at the bottom: https://github.com/ksqsf/emacsmoe/pull/1/files
>
> Whether you should read it, I don't know, considering there's no copyright
> assignment, and someone might have to re-implement the code. But the changes
> are
> not particularly long or surprising.
>
>>> "cairo text shadow" gives some results on web search, though. This one
>>> looks the most credible:
>>> https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2010-September/020915.html
>>>
>>> It's old, though, and the links inside seem to have died. Want me to
>>> hunt them down?
>>   Given the description, I'm not sure it's worth our while,
>
> Perhaps you meant "patches welcome"?
>
>> but if you
>> can find the patches without investing too much time, it will be
>> appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> There is no ready patch for Emacs for this part.
>
> One is "how Firefox implements text-shadow". Apparently, this is how it's done
> these days:
> https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/gfx/thebes/gfxBlur.cpp
>
> And the second example lives here now:
> https://github.com/syndicodefront/infekt/blob/master/src/lib/cairo_box_blur.cpp

- --
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3