Re: Ligatures (was: Unify the Platforms: Cairo+FreeType+Harfbuzz Everywh

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Ligatures (was: Unify the Platforms: Cairo+FreeType+Harfbuzz Everywhere (except TTY))
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 22:00:09 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 10:32:30 -0400
>
> > But I don't think I agree with the "logic embedded in the font" part.
> > I think we should let the user control which ligatures are really
> > used.
>
> I agree.  We should let them control the logic, but that doesn't mean we have
> to force them to do so; which means we need a way to extract that logic,
> somehow.

If we decide to enable only the ligatures that are supported by the
default font, then yes, we should find a way of detecting which ones
it supports.  But if we find out that the list of the possible
ligatures is fixed, we could by default enable all of them, and let
the shaping engine deal with those that the font doesn't support.