Re: My perspective as a mid-level user on pros/cons of different editors

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: My perspective as a mid-level user on pros/cons of different editors
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 04:36:10 +0300

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for the write-up.

Just a few brief comments.

On 20.05.2020 03:29, Rudi C wrote:
# Plain Emacs

I have never tried plain, unconfigured emacs except for reporting bugs. My first impression of its UI is bad. I think hiding the toolbar improves the UI.

The toolbar's look depends on the OS and the DE. They look reasonable under GNOME, for instance.

In summary, Emacs is good for some specific well-supported languages (even then with lots of harassment and breakages), and obscure languages that are not supported well anywhere (e.g., verilog)

verilog-mode is developed externally and has an issue tracker here: https://github.com/veripool/verilog-mode/issues

You might have more luck if you report whatever problems you're having.

- Complete, first-class LSP support. Without this, all the fancy features of emacs are basically useless. Remember, a car needs first and foremost to move people from A to B. A stationary car with a rocket launcher is cool but also not much of a car.

Have you tried Eglot?