Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 08:14:42 -0700

João Távora <address@hidden> writes:

> Let's make a tip-of-the-day or something like that.  This
> isn't exactly a new problem in UI design. Most importantly
> let's fix these shortcomings before using them as an excuse
> to do fundamental changes to the way we organize and
> develop software.

I have no well-formed opinion on `C-h p', but I do think a "tip of the
day" feature could be a good idea.  It's obviously not a silver bullet,
but it can be useful within its limits.

There is on-going work to the splash screen, and I have had the loose
idea to maybe suggest placing a "tip of the day" there.

Is anyone aware of any drawbacks to having such a feature?  Are there
better or smarter alternatives?

I think the biggest challenge is to make it useful enough that users
will actively want to read it.  Otherwise, they will just ignore it.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas