Re: [elpa] master 2a29130: Make debbugs install a handler in browse-url-

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 2a29130: Make debbugs install a handler in browse-url-default-handlers.
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:45:35 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

>> I've talked with Stefan about this and for that very reason, there's
>> browse-url-handlers to override the default behavior.
>>
>> Well, and when you have debugs installed, you most probably want to
>> use it, no?
>
> [...]
>
>>> Hm...  it's usually not ideal to change behaviour just by loading a
>>> package, is it?
>
> I don't know -- I find it really annoying when loading a file changes
> the way Emacs behaves, but perhaps that's OK for packages?  Is there a
> policy here?

I don't think there's a policy.  But many packages add to
auto-mode-alist which is quite similar, no?  It also changes the
behavior.

I think adding the handler is appropriate here at least if you've
installed debbugs explicitly.  I have to confess, if debbugs was
installed as a dependency, then having it add a handler could
potentially be annoying.  Though I think no other package depends on it
so far.

Maybe we could add a boolean defcustom to debbugs which tells if the
handler gets added?  But would that work?  I guess no because nowadays
package activation happens before loading ~/.emacs IIRC...

So basically, in this very specific case, I'd say let's make a new
debbugs ELPA release and see how many users start screaming.

And maybe we might even get positive reactions.  I activated
bug-reference-mode in Gnus summary and article buffers, and it is
totally awesome to follow bug#11991 references immediately with
debbugs. (One thing missing here [only in my ~/.emacs] is that you have
to set bug-reference-url-format to the GNU debbugs URL yourself.)

Bye,
Tassilo