Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 09:27:04 +0200

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 11:07:23PM +0000, arthur miller wrote:
> Haha, yeah I know. I actually once  created a gitlab project for a customer
> on girlab, I just didn't know it was open source. Or I have just forgot . But
> even if gitlab is open source, what says that their web interface is? How do
> I know with my data and me, that I can't know? :-) Is it just "open source"
> or  "free" as in fsf free.

A service per se isn't "open source". The programs it is based on
can be... and Gitlab scores decently here (it's "open core").

> Anyway, convenience is just one part of equation. The big issue is
> convenience of group. Everyone is on github. One fork a repo, make a commit
> and create PR. PR is the new patch. People don't send patches in emails
> longer (ok kernel a d Emacs folks does), it is kind of getting out of
> fashion. And github makes that  very convenient.

This is called network effect. And yes, it's part of convenience.

> Anyway, the forking culture has more to do with business then just for the
> service providers. Small companies create projects, and let people fork, the
> more people fork, the  better it looks in presentation for in estors: ohook,
> we ha e 5000 firks and 10 000 downloads, we are popular, grant us funding for
> next year and we can do this and that....

That's my guess too: some shiny pseudo-metrics (that what made
Github 7.5B dollar worth in the first place).

Cheers
-- t