Re: Ligatures

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Ligatures
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 05:25:17 +0300

> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 15:44:01 -0400
>
> > The idea is that this is used only rarely.  Most use cases don't need
> > to deconstruct a ligature that way; after all, that's what ligatures
> > are for.
>
> In an earlier thread, you mentioned programming font ligatures — wouldn't it
> be very common to deconstruct such ligatures, like → into ->?

No, I don't think so.  Why would this be common?

> Maybe the effect wouldn't be jarring with monospaced fonts, but for these the
> simple approach of subdividing the glyph works nicely too.

It might work in some simple cases, but I wonder what gains would that
give the users.  It sounds very unusual to me to do something like
that, and I don't think we ever heard any such complaints until now,
although prettify-symbols-mode exists for several years.