Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 17:49:30 +0300

> From: Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 07:41:42 +0200
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>
> That said, for those living on github/gitlab/etc compared to ELPA you
> feel at home... you just open issues, make pull requests & get
> answered there, you feel "welcome". On ELPA/emacs-devel you don't feel
> as welcome because of copyright assignments / subscribing to a mailing
> list / having to create patches and send an email, that plus usually
> the first answer you receive is that you did your commit message all
> wrong and that it follows complex rules in a tone that is more serious
> and "hard work" than what you get on MELPA.

I think you make the MELPA rules sound easier, and our rules sound
harder, than they actually are.  I suggest to scan the archives for
proposals to add new packages to ELPA, where you will see neither the
need to subscribe to this list, nor the need to create patches and
email them, nor "all wrong" responses with a certain "tone".  At least
not in general.