Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 17:04:16 -0400

> I do think I have a good solution - I've been
> using it for decades.  But it's not a perfect
> solution.

I'm talking about something that just places the minibuffer in
a separate frame without changing the way frames are otherwise used
(e.g. with still an assumption that the user may very work with just
one frame).

That's quite different from your setup (and mine), AFAICT.

In my setup, the minibuffer-only frame is handled specially to try and
behave as some kind of "global" control, kind of like an XFCE4 panel, or
the macOS top menu-bar.  It's placed at the very bottom of the screen
and on a higher "layer" so it's never hidden by normal windows.
This works fairly well (always available since it's "on top" of
everything else, yet out of the way since it's at the bottom of the
screen), but when I'm working with a big screen (e.g. more than
100 text lines) that minibuffer feels kinda far.

        Stefan