Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 13:06:23 -0400

> I was just mentioning that vs Drew's "in emacs the mini buffer *can* be in
> a frame". Because *that* requires a lot of manually installing packages that
> he refers to here:
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneOnOneEmacs

FWIW, to get started, you just need:

    emacs -Q --eval "(setq default-frame-alist '((minibuffer . nil)))"

But this indeed just begs the question of how to *manage* that
minibuffer-only frame (i.e. make it so that it's easily accessible when
the user needs it but it doesn't constantly get in the way the rest of
the time).

I don't know of any package/theme/thingy that provides a good solution
to that yet.  I think such a thing could be very useful&popular, so I'd
encourage you (or whoever else) to take a stab at it.

        Stefan