Re: Serious stability problem in current pretest of Emacs 27.1

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Serious stability problem in current pretest of Emacs 27.1
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 19:25:31 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 21:35:20 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 21:25:48 +0300

> > On 16.05.2020 13:48, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > See bug#41321 for the details.  Did someone see anything similar?

> > FWIW, emacs-27 has been very stable here in the recent months
> > (GNU/Linux). No crashes. And I do use global-auto-revert-mode. CC
> > Mode--not so much, only occasionally.

> Thanks for the feedback.  I don't use auto-revert, so if the problem
> only happens when the changes are large (for some value of "large"),
> auto-revert might prevent you from seeing that.

> OTOH, if I'm the only one who sees this, then the problem is not so
> serious.

I think that would be being very optimistic.  There's a definite problem
here.  Maybe it only hits 32-bit systems, or only Windows systems.  But

It screams out "Finsert_file_contents" to me.  Maybe you've thought of
this yourself already, but the next time you need to revert a file
because of this, why not put a breakpoint at the start of that function
and eyeball all the clever manipulation it does with markers.  Or
something like that.

But there haven't been any recent changes to Finsert_file_contents in
the emacs-27 branch.  Maybe there's been a recent change to something it
depends on.

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but I thought I'd say it anyhow.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).