Re: Review a blog post about emacs-devel

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Review a blog post about emacs-devel
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 09:52:46 +0300

> From: Yuan Fu <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 22:57:58 -0400
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> I think couple days ago someone (Joao?) read the copyright assignment and
> said FSF shares the copyright
> with the assignee, is that right? If so I should change the “give” in “By
> signing the assignment, you give the
> copyright of your code to FSF.” to “share”.

I don't think "share" quite catches this, but IANAL.

Why do you need to include these details in a blog about Emacs?

> Also, does that mean the assignee can change the license to public domain?

Yes, but only for the version the assignee him/herself distributes,
not for the code contributed to Emacs.  AFAIU, at least.

In effect, AFAIU, the agreement splits the code into 2 separate
versions: one is distributed by Emacs under GPL, the other could be
distributed by the author under any license the author choses,
including a non-free one.