Re: Dired - ls-switches on Modeline

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Dired - ls-switches on Modeline
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 03:31:26 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> I suggest as a usability improvement to add a user option to
>> enable/disable display of ls-switches on modeline
>
> Sounds good to me.
>
> E.g. A user option whose value is a format string
> that accepts the value of `dired-actual-switches'
> and returns the text to use in the mode-line.
> Trivial to do.
>
> You might want to file an enhancement request for
> this (`M-x report-emacs-bug').
> ___
>
> If the request doesn't get accepted for some reason
> then perhaps I'll do it for Dired+.el.
>
> I already add additional info to the mode-line (on
> a hook, so you can remove it):
>
> --
>
>  Show number of marked, flagged, and current-list lines in mode-line.
>  (Flagged means flagged for deletion.)
>  If the current line is marked/flagged and there are others
>  marked/flagged after it then show `N/M', where `N' is the number
>  marked/flagged through the current line and `M' is the total number
>  marked/flagged.
>
>  If the current line is for a file then show `L/T', where `L' is the
>  line number in the current listing and `T' is the number of files in
>  that listing.  If option `diredp-count-.-and-..-flag' is non-nil then
>  count also `.' and `..'.
>
>  Also abbreviate `mode-name', using "Dired/" instead of "Dired by".
>
> --
That seems a lot of stuff Drew :-). I don't really get you, did you
already implemented all that in Dired+ or do you wish to implement all
that?

I do have your Dired+ but honestly, it is a little big, so I never got
really time to get into it, so I don't really know what it offers.

Anyway I just need a simple way to remove ls-switches from modeline. I
don't find it usefull at all to see switches on modeline, I don't
understand why it is on by default. I guess somebody found it useful
:-). I don't really need formated ls-switches on modeline, for me, it is
a bit overkill. I just wish to turn it off, and in some rare case if I
would ever need to see my switches, so I can turn them on.

I will file a bug repport and send a patch to offer defcustom user
option to turn that off/on, but you would probably like to make it more
customizable as you suggest for Dired+?

Thanks for all your work and best regards.