Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 10:18:57 +0200

On 13.05.20 05:55, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > The power of Emacs comes from being able to write new commands a [...],
   > read and modify commands that are already in Emacs.

That is true.  That's what "extensible" refers to.

The question is, is it worth spending a few paragraphs on those points:

     > You are reading about GNU Emacs,

When I wrote the first Emacs in 1976, these were exciting new advances.
Most users had never imagined such features in an editor.

Maybe today every programmer has seen such features elsewhere, and
responds to that statement with, "ho hum."  If so, maybe we should
delete those paragraphs.

On the other hand, maybe the standard of comparison today is something
hardly extensible at all.  ISTR that Microsoft Turd has macros; can they
support nontrivial extensions?  What about Google Crocks in a browser,
can that support nontrivial extensions?

Assume understand your point. But the question was about didactics. What a beginner, starting to write a letter, needs to know? Why Emacs is censored having a steep learning curve? All things mentioned in this first sentence are probably true. However must admit even after years not being sure what "GNU incarnation of the advanced, self-documenting, customizable, extensible editor Emacs" should mean. Are there other incarnations than GNU incarnation of Emacs thinkable? Instead "GNU incarnation of ...Emacs" would understand "Emacs, an incarnation of GNU" - whatever GNU means...