Re: PL support

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 08:04:00 +0300

On 13.05.2020 06:53, Richard Stallman wrote:
That would help convince those who are still contributing, but would
not help with past contributors who have stopped.  Also, we would have
to verify that there are no significant unreachable contributors of
that we can delete or replace their code.

It would help convince the current maintainers of any given package, who are usually among the most prolific contributors. Which is good.

"Past contributors who have stopped" often can't be convinced at all. If they stopped, they often do not particularly care about what happens to that code now.

In some cases it could be ok to decide, finally, "We won't ever
particularly want to put this in core Emacs," and put it in GNU ELPA
labeled "Never core".  But that is not necessarily a solution.
What if some people start pressuring us to put it in the core,
demanding that we change our rules for the core, saying that
we don't care about making Emacs more powerful, etc?

We have a lot of practice saying no. We'll do that again.

More to the point, I haven't seem anybody demanding (or even strongly asking) to put their code in the core. If such conflicts arose in the past, it seems package.el mostly solved them.

The heated discussions of the present day are mostly about defaults, workflows and policy decisions. People ask for features too, I guess, but only when none of existing packages fit the bill.