Re: ELPA policy

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 18:00:10 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 23:16:20 -0400
>
>   > Our coding standards aren't arbitrary.  Either we think they are solid
>   > and should apply to every code that could end up in Emacs, or we
>   > should stop requiring adherence to them.  Anything else makes no
>   > sense.
>
> In principle, they should apply to ELPA packages.  But it is ok, I think,
> if we don't rush to bring all of them completely up to snuff.

I could agree to that, but I wouldn't agree to drop all of the
requirements.  And even if we loosen some of them, it's already
problematic: the contributors of code for the core, which are
generally required to adhere to all of the requirements, could
rightfully feel they are treated unfairly, even though developing the
core benefits Emacs more than an unbundled package.