Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 16:56:55 +0200

ndame <address@hidden> writes:

>> If we asked our users, I think we would find that many people would be
>> willing to contribute financially.
>>

> People are more likely to contribute if they get something sooner than
> otherwise.

> So the questions is: is there someone who would'd love to work on his pet
> emacs
> feature full time instead of in his free time? Because if so and it's a
> popular
> feature (e.g. graphics canvas for emacs, vscode-like instant support for
> languages which sets up the lsp server, lsp client and completion
> automatically,
> etc.) then it's very likely the community would support that developer via
> crowdfunding for several months of full time emacs work in return of getting
> those features quickly in a few months.

Indeed. If you just ask people what they want for certain amount of $$$
you might end up building a death star :-)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-20997144

I can't find the link on U.S. goverment site any more.

It is probably, more constructive to offer a project, or two, to
contribute and help to.

Or maybe you could lift up and help some popular projects to integrate
themselves better into Emacs and develop maybe some more functionality
they might be missing, something like org, magit, projectile, etc.

Maybe you could offer a coaching/mentoring to someone who has a vision
to develop some new functionality that might benefit wider audience of
users?