Re: PL support

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 10:08:13 -0400

address@hidden (Alfred M. Szmidt) writes:

> An idea maybe e.g., Magit could join as a a GNU project, and followed
> the needed rules for a GNU project but without copyright assignments
> to the FSF.  Then Magit could be listed in the package-archives list.
> It would not be part of Emacs, but it would safeguard the situation of
> not falling into a trap of recommending non-free software, etc.

That's perhaps not such a bad idea, only you need to convince the Magit
maintainers to agree to that.  And then do the same again and again for
every single package that we are interested in.

Why not create something like "GNU ELPA Contrib" or "MELPA-libre", or
even "Non-GNU ELPA"?  We would maintain full control of the included
packages, ban recommending non-free software, maintain the coding
standards we think are important, and all the rest of it.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas