Re: PL support

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 22:40:09 -0400

  > On a personal note, I'd also support not requiring copyright assignments
  > for ELPA packages.

Here is why we must not do that.

In general, when we put a package into GNU ELPA, we want to be able
to move it into the core.  Putting off getting assignments would be
asking for trouble, for reasons you have just encountered yourself.
The policy of getting assignments at the earlier time, when we put
the package into GNU ELPA, keeps is from putting it off.

If there were ever some package we want to refer people to
but certainly would never want to move it into the core,
this issue would not arise.

But how could we be sure of that?

--
Dr Richard Stallman