PL support (was: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: PL support (was: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs)
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 18:34:42 +0300

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 16:25:36 +0100
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
>       emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> I think Eli has indicated that LSP support in the core is desirable
> at some point

Not only desirable: long overdue.  Emacs must learn to use the latest
technologies of supporting programming languages based on real
parsing, because the time when it could be done with regular
expressions and similar techniques has come and gone.  We cannot
enable significant new IDE-like features if we don't acquire these
technologies.

Please someone start working on this ASAP.  We sorely need that, just
look at the recent discussions on Reddit that underline these
deficiencies in Emacs.