Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 16:25:36 +0100

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 4:22 PM Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 09.05.2020 12:48, João Távora wrote:
> > Eglot, the LSP package, is in that situation: it is in ELPA but is
> > developed  on Github for now and ,there it has gathered contributors
> > whom I ask for copyright assignments, GNU-style commits, etc.
> > Soon, we'll discuss its integration into the core, and if it works out,
> > I'll want to keep it in GNU ELPA as a :core packge.
>
> I don't understand: it's trivial to M-x install-package eglot. Why do we
> need to add it to Emacs proper? Simply having it inside the distribution
> won't make it more discoverable anyway.

It's not for discoverability.  It's, among other reasons, so that major modes
can adding to Eglot's hooks, for example.  Or that someday font-locking and
or indentation can be done via the LSP server.  I think Eli has indicated
that LSP support in the core is desirable at some point, and this would
be a step in that direction, I think.

João