Re: ELPA policy

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 13:24:34 +0300

> From: David Engster <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 12:13:01 +0200
>
> > I could understand if you'd say "use" instead of "recommend",
> > i.e. have code in Emacs, which, if a package is installed, would use
> > it.  That'd actually have the package's name in our sources, and would
> > constitute some kind of "endorsement".  But as long as we don't use
> > any of those packages, why should we care what other people like or
> > don't like?
>
> Sorry, but you lost me there. All I'm saying is that there's a whole lot
> of terrific packages out there but which we must not recommend to users,
> although they are free software and often vastly superior to the things
> that are built into Emacs. For instance, there's a discussion going on
> about making a video showing Emacs' capabilities, but I assume we'd not
> be allowed to show Magit. That's a huge loss.

So package maintainers are supposed to want to be on ELPA so that they
could appear in a video, or in someone's message on a GNU mailing
list?  Really?

Once again, I wasn't asking whether it was okay or not to show off
Magit in a video or promote it on this list, I was asking why do we
need ELPA when MELPA is out there and has many more packages (and
always will)?