Re: A prototype for a binding based approach to proper namespaces

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: A prototype for a binding based approach to proper namespaces
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 10:50:40 +0200

On Sat, May 09 2020, Andrea Corallo wrote:

>> Maybe that problem could be (partially) solved by having an operator,
>> like:
>>
>>      (resolve-designator NAME)
>>
>> that returns the full symbol for NAME based on the currend lexical
>> environments.  This would be a pure compile-time operation, a bit like
>> macroexpand.  E.g. instead of
>
> Yes it's an interesting problem.  Isn't sufficient to select the wanted
> behavior to do as follow?
>
> ;; foo define in another Lexspace will use its definition of bar.
> (foo #'bar)
>
> ;; This will use the definition in the current lexical enviroment instead.
> (foo (symbol-function bar))

I'm not sure that I understand you.

Just do make my point clear(er): functions that accept symbols
(e.g. face-name) don't know anything about the current lexical
environments of the caller.  symbol-function is one of them.  The only
sensible place where symbol-function could search is the global
environment.

Helmut