Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Thu, 07 May 2020 17:18:47 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> To me that sort of suggests that copyright assignment is neither
>> sufficient (you still need enough resources to overcome "every spurious
>> issue" the defending lawyers will throw at you) nor necessary (since
>> Bradley considers it "asinine" to say "an infringement claim is invalid
>> without holding a majority of the copyrights").
>
> Actually, Bradley's conclusion, the very next paragraph after the one
> you quoted, is a direct opposite of yours, AFAICT.

Well, Bradley concludes that assignment makes enforcement "easier":

> But, when I am asked: "Isn't it easier to enforce when you have all
> the copyrights?", my answer has to be: "Yes, it's easier". It's a
> trade-off; there's no question. My personal position is probably
> obvious on this, since I have written often about preferring
> multi-copyright held projects myself, but even I admit to being
> annoyed by the downsides from time to time.

But "easier" is not "directly opposite" to "neither sufficient nor
necessary", at least in my understanding?  Assignment may help, but
Bradley says that it's not strictly necessary legally speaking, and it's
not a silver bullet either.

>                                                     If we are going to
> cite others who might have educated opinions on this matter, why not
> cite them more completely?

In this case, because I did not believe the rest of the quote
contradicted my understanding of the issue, but thank you for
underlining Bradley's conclusion, which of course should be given more
consideration than my own.

The reason why I sent my previous message was in the hope that someone
might give us an updated picture of the enforcement landscape; it's been
some years since 2012.  I apologize if it looked like I was putting
words in Bradley's mouth.