Re: Un-deprecating oset

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: Un-deprecating oset
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 12:11:00 +0100

Jonas Bernoulli <address@hidden> writes:

> TL;DR
>
> Deprecating (oref object slot value)
> in favor of (setf (oref object slot) value)
> does *nothing* to increase "namespace sanity", the declared goal.
> It does however take away the programmers choice whether to use
> `setf' or not, but only when it comes to OOP, which seems unfair.
>
> --
> Jonas
>
> PS: I am mostly AFK today.  Posting this now anyway because follow
>     up actions are already being carried out.

Sorry, I haven't been following the namespace discussions and my only
intention in [1] was to get Emacs building cleanly again.  I'll hold off
on pushing that for now.

[1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-05/msg00630.html

Two notes I can offer after putting that patch together:

1. While oref has been setf-able for a while, oref-default is not.  So
   Elisp libraries won't be able to write (setf (oref-default ...) ...)
   until Emacs 28 at the earliest.

2. As the patch indicates, oset is used *a lot*.

--
Basil