Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 17:27:29 +0900

> On May 4, 2020, at 23:22, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 10:13:56 +0900
>> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>,
>> address@hidden,
>> Emacs developers <address@hidden>,
>> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
>> address@hidden
>>
>>> I'd rather expect that people would listen to better tools being
>>> presented to them, and would consider using them to enrich their
>>> experience and make their everyday's life better.
>>
>> Would you consider that a tutorial on the information search system provided
>> by emacs would help in that matter ?
>
> Maybe.  I don't think I understand well enough what would such a
> tutorial include.  You didn't say.

What a tutorial usually includes is step-by-step help with practical examples.
I'll be putting that on my todo list.

> We already have some of that ion the Emacs tutorial

Very little in fact:

C-h t
C-h i
C-h f
C-h v
M-. → "requires running etags to record all the manuals nodes"
C-h p in a quote from the Emacs manual
M-x apropos
C-h a → the example Chassell gives produces 211 results

> and then we have the "Help" chapter in the Emacs manual.

The Help chapter provides a "summary of help commands for accessing the
built-in documentation." That summary does not group the information by topic
but merely lists the commands in the alphabetical order of the keys.

Let me attach a patch that groups the commands by topic (tables) in that
summary. I am not sure adding a @subsection is the best way to label such
groups (tables) but I could not find a better solution.

Jean-Christophe Helary