Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 21:11:58 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 20:52:15 +0300
>
> On 04.05.2020 20:37, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >> But changing something that exists, especially when it had existed for a
> >> while, is a long, arduous journey with rare chance of success, IME.
> >
> > It's longer, but not by a long shot.
>
> Of many discussion about changing default behavior that I've seen, the
> vast majority have failed.

Then you only remember the ones that led to nothing because we didn't
do anything but talk.

> > A recent example: the :extend
> > face attribute.
>
> It's an interesting counter-example. First, it did little to change the
> actual functionality, just the looks.

The reaction to this "little change" could have fooled me.

> Second, there were no noticeable consensus, inside or outside the
> core, that the new behavior is better

Not true.  There was complete consensus among those who discussed the
feature before it went into implementation.

> (I've mostly seen dissenting feedback, but the split is probably more
> like 50/50). But apparently you liked it well enough because it made
> Emacs's behavior more compatible with other software _you_ were familiar
> with, that even breaking the expectations of a lot of our users, or
> having to force all theme authors to update their themes (until I came
> along with a fix) wasn't price too high.

So what is the lesson you suggest to take out of this example, in the
context of "adapting"?