Re: Namespaces - summary, conclusion

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Namespaces - summary, conclusion
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 18:25:35 +0200

> I think you jump to conclusions too quickly.  Each one of the named
> individuals expressed quite different views about the
> renaming/aliasing proposals.  In particular, the degree of resistance
> to any and all such changes from each one of those people was very
> different.  AFAIU, only Alan is completely opposed to any such change.

Ah, ok I somehow inferred that Alan was the only one to say out loud
what you guys also thought, given your "resistance".

> That said, if we are willing to continue discussing this, we might be
> able to agree to some small enough group of functions for which more
> systematically-named aliases could be added.
>
> > Until now every one of the proposed aliases (in string- or regexp-)
> > were rejected for arguably good reasons but the message is pretty
> > clear, I think aliases in Emacs core are a dead end (for now, that
> > might change later) and will only live in libraries in MELPA (or ELPA
> > is authors care).
>
> That's not my conclusion.  I think a small number of aliases could be
> agreed to, based on the responses.
>
> I urge you not to give up.

Thanks. Until now I haven't seen any of the "string-" proposition
where there was the beginning of a consensus, but I'll look again. If
you have something in mind please share.

Regexp looked more promising, should we focus there first?

Philippe