Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 23:05:01 -0400

  > Seems
  > like world has realized power of open source, which is great.

If people have realized the usefulness of the existing free programs,
that is good.

If people realize the value of the _freedom_ that free software gives,
and learn to demand this freedom, that would be GREAT.

Using the term "open source" tends to cover up that crucial point.
For the free software movement, that is self-defeating.  So please
let's make an effort to call our work "free", "libre", or both -- not
"open".

See https://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
for more explanation of the difference between free software and open
source.  See also https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-meme-hustler for
Evgeny Morozov's article on the same point.

--
Dr Richard Stallman