Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 19:23:55 +0300

On 03.05.2020 17:45, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Years of using Emacs with its superb documentation and elaborate
facilities to find stuff in that documentation caused me to be more
demanding, to expect better documentation that is easier to access
quickly.  I might compromise if something like that is not available
when I'm working with other software, but I certainly don't want to
give that up when I work on Emacs!  And I'm astonished to hear that
people don't_want_  the documentation we provide and the help commands
to go with it, and are willing to settle for API completion!

The main reason the discussion even went that way is because instead of acknowledging that the user's scenario is valid and the request is reasonable (that code completion and describe-function's completion will work easier and faster if function names are more predictable), you responded with the recommendations to "just use manual".

Whereas the manual provides a different workflow and doesn't cover all cases. For instance, it only covers the functions in the core. Maybe not even all of them. Whereas the aforementioned features work uniformly for all functions, no matter where defined or by whom.