Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 15:18:36 +0100

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 2:47 PM Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 02.05.2020 16:34, João Távora wrote:
> > I bet you'll find people that think it has the best naming. I kind of like
> > it.
>
> If the name strpbrk speaks to your heart, more power to you.
>
> But let's not use it as an argument that function names don't need to
> convey information.

As Philippe himself has pointed out, there's the trade-off between
convey information and a long-a$$ name, for example. So we
_can_ use that as argument, in the opposite part of the spectrum.
I for one think that expecting names to tell us everything, or
even a lot, is naive, a losing battle.  And, yes, naming _is_ hard
it's one of the 2 hard ones along with cache invalidation and
off-by-one.

João