Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 14:22:28 +0300

> From: Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 12:56:41 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden, Richard Stallman <address@hidden>,
>  Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> I think we are mixing two concepts here. To search for a single function,
> where you already know the
> keywords, yes "C-h d" works. To get a curated list of the API of a topic, not
> so much.

That's why I proposed to have a variant of "C-h d" that would only
look in the arguments and in the first line of the doc string.  It
would produce less false positives.

> I still think "C-h d alist", because it does not give me assq and assoc is
> not doing a good job.

they do now.

> Because alist is controversial let's take "C-h d regexp match": it does not
> give me string-match nor
> match-string.

??? It does here.

> I'm still not very satisfied about the tools you showed for listing an
> overview of the API to manipulate regexp,
> or files, or processes (etc). What you are basically saying is that wanting
> to have this overview is overrated,
> but for me it helps me understand the landscape of how the API works and is
> designed. What functions
> would be available should I need them in the future, what parts is missing,
> etc.

For that, you should definitely read the manual, not just look at the
list of APIs.  A list of the APIs will not tell enough, especially if
you are coming to a language that has a long history, with such
idiosyncratic names as cdr and assq.