Re: master 43fded1: Add lisp-data-mode for editing non-code Lisp data

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: master 43fded1: Add lisp-data-mode for editing non-code Lisp data
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 12:32:54 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>> That's a problem.  Tramp must be backward compatible with Emacs 25 and
>> later, which doesn't know of lisp-data-mode.  Could you, pls, revert this
>> part of your commit?
>
> [ Do we also care about writing this file from Emacs-28 and then
>   reading it in Emacs-25?  How 'bout restricting it so you can only use
>   it with Emacs-25-but-using-a-recent-Tramp?  ]

Yes, we care. And no, I don't see a reason to restrict ourselves; using
lisp-data-mode in that file is not super important.

> [ Also, I assume the above problem appears because Tramp uses
>   `find-file-noselect` to access this file, so it could be fixed by
>   making it use `insert-file-contents` instead, right?  ]

It is not a problem reading the file in Tramp code; Tramp uses already
`insert-file-contents-literally`. The problem is rather when you want to
visit the file interactively in a buffer.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.