Re: Keeping it kind

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Keeping it kind
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 22:27:59 -0400

  > Let's not generalize too hastily.  FWIW, I'm not bothered in the
  > least by alist-get (even better: it calls cdr for me!), and I
  > surmise I'm not alone "around here" to not find assq more readable
  > than alist-get.

'assq' is a traditional core Lisp function from the 1960s.
I implemented it in GNU Emacs before it was even working to edit with.
To change its name would have beeen unthinkable.

Many years later, 'alist-get' was added.  We gave it a name according
to a systematic pattern.

Each of those names was handled the right way.  It is right to treat
them differently.

--
Dr Richard Stallman