Re: master c59e878: Inhibit modification hooks when saving eieio-persist

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: master c59e878: Inhibit modification hooks when saving eieio-persistent's
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 00:24:16 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> What kind of speed up have you noticed?

A factor of roughly 4.

> Have you profiled it to see which change-functions slow us down

I tried, but no, with "profiler" I only saw 80 % of time wasted
somewhere, but no samples where assigned to anything.  That's why it
took an hour until I found that change functions are the culprit.  Note
that they are typically run 10000 or 10000 times or so.

I don't want to conceal that I have on-screen.el making use of
after-change hooks - but I dunno what other people might have put
there.  Having such stuff in such a low-level operation is rather
useless, and I don't know what modes people are using are putting into
after-change hooks.

> (maybe we can disable them some other way, such as by using another
> major mode)?

Other than `fundamental-mode'?

> Have you tried to use `combine-change-calls`?

No, but that's something I can try, yes.  Actually, `object-write' would
be the better place to use this, but since `combine-change-calls` needs
to know a region, and `object-write' is agnostic about where it writes
to, this doesn't seem to be possible.  Or should I just test
`standard-output'?  I guess it doesn't make sense to call
after-change-functions for every single atomic operation of
`object-write'.

Thanks,

Michael.