Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs (via: emacs rendering comparisson

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs (via: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3)
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 22:18:25 +0300

> From: Andrea Corallo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 19:05:57 +0000
>
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Maybe those grammars could be compiled to some other representation (I
> > don't know if it is made mostly of data-tables or actual code or what)?
>
> IMO ideally should be lisp and we should leverage the native compiler
> for that, but I understand we are not there.

FWIW, it should indeed be possible to develop the grammars in Lisp,
but that is not the first goal in bringing such a package to Emacs.
Not even the second one.  Because once such a package can be used with
Emacs, and the results are significantly better than what we have
today, you will see someone come up with a way of doing that in Lisp
in no time.  Making the connection happen, and coming up with a good
design for that, should be the first goal.  IMO, we should identify
the features that can benefit from that (font-lock is just one of
them, maybe not even the most important one), and design the
interfaces and the infrastructure so that it could support them all
(and then some).  But I repeat myself.