Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: andrés ramírez
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 20:08:55 +0000

Hi Richard.

Richard> To tell the people with the strongest commitment to freedom
Richard> to use an old version of Emacs is to choose failure.  We need
Richard> to re-optimize the Emacs master so it gives good performance
Richard> on those machines.

We Agree on that.

>> BTW. On my comparissons that variable was set no nil as Doc says:
>> If nil, use the default decoration (typically the minimum
>> available).  --8<---------------cut
>> here---------------end--------------->8--- Also xdisp.c. Just load
>> c-mode not c++-mode

Richard> What were the results of the comparisons you did with this
Richard> setting?  (I wasn't following this topic until yesterday.)

It was on the first email of this thread:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-03/msg00511.html

Ulrich Mueller has a new comparisson with an up to date machine. On his
comparisson he has it with font-lock enable and disable. I am going to
do the same an update the table accordingly.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-03/msg00724.html

>> With the help of Michael Albinus I have update the emacs23 builtin
>> tramp version to the latest one that supports GNU/Emacs23

Richard> Has Tramp become a lot slower?  Or is it only that the
Richard> current Tramp doesn't work on Emacs 23?

Michael Albinus has answered on this email:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-03/msg00721.html

Richard> Has Org mode become a lot slower?  Or is it only that the
Richard> current Org mode doesn't work on Emacs 23?

Current org-mode does not work on Emacs23. But I remember You were part
of that discussion in the past. And the conclusion of that discussion
was to support just three versions. But the org-mode guys replied a
shortage of man power for it.

Best Regards