Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 09:54:32 -0400

> Like Stefan said, aliasing make-local-hook to `ignore' will be fine.
> All the relevant calls to add-hook set the LOCAL argument to t anyway.

... and even if they don't set the LOCAL argument, `make-local-hook`
still doesn't make any difference.

IOW, contrary to `setq` which sometimes sets the var buffer-locally and
sometimes does it globally depending on whether the var has been made
buffer-local, `add-hook` only uses the LOCAL argument to decide whether
the hook should be affected locally or globally (with the long-standing
ugly exception of those hooks that have been `make-local-variable`,
which I'd love to get rid of).  I changed this back in Emacs-21 ;-)

        Stefan