Re: Two errors in 27.* with Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Two errors in 27.* with Windows
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 10:08:07 +0300

> From: Juan José García-Ripoll
>  <address@hidden>
> Cc: Juan José García-Ripoll
>  <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 23:09:08 +0100
>
> >   . what do you mean by "binary buffer" (or "text buffer")?
>
> I have no way to debug this problem clearly. Obviously the problem is in
> call-process producing output in a buffer and that being parsed in two
> different ways: outside Gnus, it is parsed in a way that does not ignore
> ^M characters; inside Gnus it sometimes happens and sometimes does not.
>
> >   . I didn't say that gpg's output is the problem, I asked whether
> >     it's human-readable text or byte stream in this case.  I
> >     understand it's text (the gpg version number), in which case I
> >     don't understand why the code sets coding-system-for-read to
> >     'binary' -- it sounds like a mistake.  Can you show the place
> >     where this is done?
>
> No. That is what I was asking in my earlier email. I do not know how to
> trace where this happens. The most I have managed is to set an "advice"
> function that interferes CALL-PROCESS and output properties of the
> buffer that is current when it is invoked, but I have no idea how to
> find which part of the code selects those values. Man, this code base is huge.

Lars (or anyone else of the Gnus developers), can you help?  We are
looking for the place that calls (perhaps indirectly) call-process to
run gpg in this scenario, and in particularly where does that code set
coding-system-for-read to 'binary'.

Juan, can you please describe the scenario (the commands you issue and
any relevant customizations you have) that causes this in detail?
Also, if this doesn't happen in "emacs -Q", please show any relevant
customizations in your init files, especially the ones that customize
the default coding-systems.

Thanks.