ELPA: where is chess developed?

From: Jack Hill
Subject: ELPA: where is chess developed?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 18:35:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Emacs,

I'm interested in working with the Chess package. According to 1b67906a62fe84cf838f7bb88675af69e0efff13 [0], Chess is developed in the the main ELPA repository. However, it seems that the previous upstream location [1] has seen more development activity than the external/chess branch [2].

[0]
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/commit/?id=1b67906a62fe84cf838f7bb88675af69e0efff13
[1] https://github.com/jwiegley/emacs-chess
[2] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/log/?h=externals/chess

What's going on here? Did the project fork and there are two development streams going forward? Did the aspiration to develop chess in the ELPA repository fail, and we should switch back to jwiegley/emacs-chess as upstream? If I package this for my distribution, which one should I use?

Please copy me on replies.

Thanks,
Jack