Re: Can we expand the valid location of "Local Variables" ?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Can we expand the valid location of "Local Variables" ?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 22:01:27 -0400

> OK. I can write such a patch. Is there an upside to not documenting it?
> If we REALLY don't want people touching this variable, then why not
> leave the hardcoded 3000?

I said "variable" just because we don't have constants, but really the
way I see it, it should be a constant: if you put your variables further
than that, it won't work with an Emacs that hasn't been
customized accordingly.

> Oof. I COULD do that, but that feels like it makes an already-ugly thing
> even uglier. I sent a separate email to the org mailing list about maybe
> upstreaming some of the advices, but the general idea doesn't seem
> unreasonable to me: we already allow a block to define some custom
> variables, so customizing the behavior of some functions doesn't seem
> crazy.

Putting a large amount of code this way is a major problem security-wise.
If you're the only one looking at this file and it's code you wrote,
then there's no problem security-wise, but then again you could just
put that code in your ~/.emacs instead.
If it's not your own code or if you share this file with others, then
it's a security hassle and you'd be better off moving that code to some
package on which your file will depend.

        Stefan