Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2020 01:32:01 +0200

On 26.02.2020 19:30, martin rudalics wrote:
> I could ask why not omit the call to gtk_window_resize when (totalwidth == gwidth && totalheight == gheight), but that would probably only affect performance.

You mean like in the attached?  It hardly affects performance here.

That's what I meant, yes. After testing it, I'm also not sure if there's a real performance improvement there. But maybe this change wouldn't hurt either.

I meanwhile did a full GNOME installation here, a somewhat nightmarish
experience trying to get a system menu and task bar, recovering all the
stolen key bindings, disabling the trackers ...  It strongly reminds me
of Windows 10 where I never managed to fix all relevant issues.

Personally, I don't use the system menu, or a task bar. Only a dock on the left. But then again, I'm using the Unite extension that makes it behave like Ubuntu's Unity.

Anyway, AFAICT the hide during resizing approach seems to be the only
halfway working alternative at the moment.

That, or the patch using the obsolete gtk_container_set_resize_mode. I'm not 100% sure which is the best choice (you seem to be favoring the hiding approach, judging by the next paragraph), but the other one seems to provide a better experience in the use case I'm looking at. Especially when combined with (setq x-wait-for-event-timeout 0.0).

It's also the only one that
can show a scroll bar on a child frame (not necessarily right away but
after one resize operation at least).  Which hints at some outer-window
vs edit-window snafu but so far I have no idea where to look.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure 99.9% of users of child frames out there aren't going to enable scroll bars.