Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 18:54:09 +0100

> The effect of this new patch is weird:
>
> Dragging the right and/or bottom edge now moves the "cutoff" (for lack
> of a better word) instead of resizing the frame. The frame internal
> border, the mode-line, etc, stay in place, and resizing like this can
> cover them partially or completely, making further dragging of the
> same edge impossible. After, the only way to show the internal border
> again is to drag the left or top border. Which will refresh the
> rendering of all the borders.

I understand only partially but probably we see the same.  When I drag
the right internal border here it disappears.  When I now drag the
bottom border, the right border reappears at its old position, making
the previous drag a noop, and the bottom border disappears.  So in
practice I cannot move any border.

Do you mean that with an earlier patch you could arbitrarily move those
borders (using an insanely large initial child frame)?  If so, please
tell me which patch that was.

> Also, resizing by the top or left borders looks more like moving the
> frame because its contents do not change size (and the distance
> between borders stays the same; the "extra" space outside is taken by
> a graphics glitch).

Here nothing happens in this regard.

> If I understood your explanation correctly, I'm seeing the same,
> yes. Although the settings item was called "Show Graphic Updates".

Probably so.  I tried to translate from my locale.

martin