Re: Cross-compiling

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 13:13:40 -0800

On 2/5/20 7:45 AM, David Michael wrote:
Does anyone familiar with the build process see problems with this?  Is
it something that would be acceptable upstream?

Something along those lines should be acceptable, I'd think.

I assume you're building from a tarball, and not from Git. If you are building from Git, then the first step should be to build a tarball natively, and then start from the tarball. This should simply any cross-build support we need to add.

make-docfile shouldn't be needed native, as we can distribute its output as part of the tarball.

For blessmail, we can convert it to a shell script on platforms that have a shell (which should be the only platforms where cross-building is an issue.) Blessmail is obsolete anyway - perhaps we should start installing blessmail only on explicit request - but I digress.

For make-fingerprint, it's not that important and we could make its use optional. Or we could write a shell script a la blessmail. Or we could convert it from C to Elisp and integrate it as part of the build process. Either way, we wouldn't need to build it on the build host.

If we do the above, we wouldn't need to worry so much about native vs cross-builds.