Re: cairo now default?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: cairo now default?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 11:22:36 +0100

    Colin> I notice that ./configure <RET> configures the build to use cairo and
    Colin> not to use HarfBuzz. Perhaps I'm mistaken, I don't remember cairo as
    Colin> default. Users now have presumably to specify --without-cairo. Also I
    Colin> seem to recall someone here saying that HarfBuzz should be used when
    Colin> cairo is used.

Did configure not say that at the end? I guess you donʼt have HarfBuzz
headers installed, they're used if they're found.

configure.ac:

    if test "${HAVE_CAIRO}" = "yes" && test "${HAVE_HARFBUZZ}" = no; then
      AC_MSG_WARN([This configuration uses the Cairo graphics library,
        but not the HarfBuzz font shaping library.  We recommend the use
        of HarfBuzz when using Cairo, please install HarfBuzz development
        packages.])
    fi

etc/NEWS:

    * Installation Changes in Emacs 28.1

    ** Cairo graphics library is now used by default if found.
    '--with-cairo' is now the default, if the appropriate development files
    are found by 'configure'.  Note that building with Cairo means using
    Pango instead of libXFT for font support.  Since Pango 1.44 has
    removed support for bitmapped fonts, this may require you to adjust
    your font settings.

    Note also that 'FontBackend' settings in ".Xdefaults" or
    ".Xresources", or 'font-backend' frame parameter settings in your init
    files, may need to be adjusted, as 'xft' is no longer a valid backend
    when using Cairo.  Use 'ftcrhb' if your Emacs was built with HarfBuzz
    text shaping support, and 'ftcr' otherwise.  You can determine this by
    checking 'system-configuration-features'.  The 'ftcr' backend will
    still be available when HarfBuzz is supported, but will not be used by
    default.  We strongly recommend building with HarBuzz support. 'x' is
    still a valid backend.