Re: Extend gdb to filter registers

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Extend gdb to filter registers
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 10:49:41 +0100

> Side window have to be on the side, so you can’t put a function window
> in the middle.

All this is on purpose.  It's the most simple approach to draw a divider
between a rectangular region of the frame called the main window where
users and applications can conceptually do whatever they want and a
fixed region outside that main window, laid out in a strict and
immutable fashion.  If such a division doesn't work for GDB's many
windows concept, I have no idea what to do.  Side windows were designed
to accomplish exactly tasks like this.

> And if a user manually layout his windows, they won’t
> be side windows.

In that case the user has to bear the consequences as with the basic
layout we already have now.

> Is there any other way to limit the location of a to-be-created window?

The buffer display functions try to not limit locations.  Limiting
locations will sooner or later paint you into a corner where you find no
window to display your buffers.  The idea is rather to suggest which
locations can be used rather than suggesting which locations cannot be
used.

With the default settings, users can always use the recipe provided by
Eli: Put the gdb windows into a separate frame (optionally making that
frame unsplittable) and operate from there as long as you are debugging
only.

martin